Image Credit: The Spruce / Armando Rafael via The Spruce Eats
This delicious Dungeness recipe is the perfect choice for those who love grilling. The wonderful spring weather is here and summer is upon us; grilling is a popular way to prepare Dungeness crab and is even considered a hobby to some.
This isn’t a bland recipe. These ingredients will add a kick to a traditional grilled Dungeness crab meal, and feel free to spice it up even more to taste.
The experts at The Spruce Eats recommend this tip when choosing live crab:
“If you are choosing live crabs, the ones you want are those that are active and alert. The sluggish ones are likely to be less healthy and less tasty. The larger the better to provide more luscious crab meat.”
However, if you are ordering live Dungeness crab from Fathom Seafood, you will have no issues and will only be receiving prime crab.
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 10 mins
Total: 25 mins
Servings: 4 servings
**Note: Prepare your crab-eating utensils during the preparation stage. You will need a cracker and a pick fork of some kind. Small bowls for shell-depositing and something for those enjoying the meal to clean their hands off with, is needed as well. Dealing with crab can get kind of messy.
- 1/4 cup/120 ml white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons/15 ml sugar
- 2 tablespoons/30 ml olive oil
- 1 tablespoon/15 ml ginger (minced)
- 1 jalapeño chili (minced with the seeds removed)
- 3 clove garlic (crushed)
- 1 tablespoon/15 ml cilantro (minced)
- 2 large Dungeness crabs (live)
- Garnish: lemon wedges
- Garnish: drawn butter (aka clarified butter)
- Gather all of the ingredients and wash off the produce.
- In a small bowl, mix together cilantro, garlic, ginger, jalapeno, sugar, oil, and vinegar, which is considered the baste. Cover and set aside for later.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. One at a time, carefully drop each Dungeness crab headfirst into the boiling water. Boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove Dungeness crabs from the water and gently pull off the triangular tabs from the crab’s belly. Life off the shells as well.
- Cleaning Dungeness Crab time is next! Clean out the innards and gills from each crab. Wash, drain, and pat dry with paper towels.
- Preheat the grill to a medium-high heat and place Dungeness crabs on the grill when ready.
- Grill crabs with the lid closed, brushing them with the basting mixture after the first 2 to 3 minutes of grilling.
- Once crabs have grilled for about 6 minutes, turn them over and baste again.
- The crabs are done when the meat in the leg is opaque, which in total will take about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Place grilled Dungeness crabs in a serving dish and spoon the remaining basting mixture over them.
Serve your yummy meal with lemon wedges, butter, or whatever your stomach desires.
‘Tis the season for grilling fresh Dungeness crab!
Start planning your cookout today by ordering live Dungeness crab from Fathom Seafood. They have the best selection out there and are super convenient; you can have those delicious critters on your doorstep within 24 hours and can start grilling immediately.