Image Credit: The Woks of Life
This is a delightful twist on the traditional shrimp fried rice, or any other seafood-based fried rice you may be used to. Making fried rice from scratch is always the more delicious and nutritious option, and adding in succulent live Dungeness crab makes this recipe all the more mouth-watering
What the chef has to say about the yummy dish:
Crab fried rice is a classic and much beloved Thai dish, characterized by its delicate flavors. The crab is really the star of the show here, so a light touch is used when it comes to soy sauce, fish sauce, and the shaoxing wine. The cilantro, scallion, and lime combo adds the perfect fresh flavor.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
- 3-4 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons ginger (minced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 4 cups cooked white rice
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine (optional)
- salt (to taste)
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1 cup cooked lump crab meat (half of a 16 oz. can/225g)
**You can substitute live Dungeness crab that you have cooked and cleaned yourself.
- 2 scallions (chopped)
- 1/4 cup cilantro (chopped)
- Lime wedges
- Prepare ingredients by mincing ginger and garlic and chopping cilantro and scallions; beat both eggs and set aside.
- Take out a wok or large fry pan and heat oil over medium-high heat. First, add the minced ginger, gently stirring for about 30 seconds; next add in minced garlic and cook until golden in color; then add rice to the wok/pan. Turn heat on high and stir in rice for 3 minutes
- Add in ingredients for flavor: white pepper, soy sauce, shaoxing wine, and fish sauce. Add anything else you desire for taste. Stir together.
- Next, spread rice mixture evenly along the surface of the wok/pan with a spatula and pour the beaten egg over the rice. Continue to stir until the egg is fully cooked.
- Once again, spread rice and egg mixture evenly across wok/pan and add in the crab meat. Continue to stir. When the crab is warmed up, add your chopped cilantro and scallions and stir-fry until the herbs are just wilted.
- You are finished! Finish with a squeeze of lime if you’d like and any other sauce or oil for taste.
If you are tired of the same old vegetable fried rice or shrimp fried rice, this Dungeness crab fried rice is sure to be a fan favorite!
Head on over to Fathom Seafood’s site to purchase the Dungeness crab for your recipe and you will receive it within 24 hours of placing your order. If this will be your first order, use code FATHOM10 and get 10% off!